Black and Blue Smoked Tomahawk Steak
Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb
- 1 Rack of Lamb
- 4 tablespoons olive oil separated into 2
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic crushed
- 6 Sprigs fresh Thyme with leaves stripped
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary chopped
- 2 Sprigs fresh oregano chopped
- Generous Salt and Pepper
- Mix 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and herbs all together and smear all over the rack of lamb
- Generously salt and pepper all sides of the rack and let sit for 20-30 minutes
- Set oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium to medium high, add olive oil and let it run around the pan when it starts to smoke throw in the butter and immediately put one of the 2 end sides into the oil and butter and push it down. Let each side sear for 2 minutes. Be sure the keep it hot, but you don’t want the butter and oil to start to turn black and smoke up the kitchen. It’s a bit of a balancing act.
- Now place the fatty(top) part of the rack down in the oil and butter. Let sit and sear for at least 3 or 4 minutes to get a nice dark sear on top. Flip the rack over with the bottom side down, then tilt the pan to gather some of the oil and juice and ladle it over the top a few times and then place the pan in the oven and let bake for 15 minutes for medium rare, 20 minutes for medium to medium well.
- Remove from the oven and let sit covered with tin foil for 10 minutes
- Slice into individual or double chops and serve with mint jelly and/or feta cheese. The Au jus can make an amazing sauce as well.